Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Tomorrow is dying!

Dear God,

About nine years to the month, amidst global recession, I sat in a dimly lit cubicle and wondered, when...when...! The only certainty back then was ambiguity. Every day I went back to work to no work, news of friends who were suddenly let go of and businesses pulling the plug off the hitherto successful offshoring campaigns. Every day I went back to work wondering if it were my last! During the final days of the said, I'd turned numb; almost nothing affected me. And when the day did come, I was a relieved man. Economic downturn had claimed yet another head. At least the ambiguity had ended.

Cut to the day, ambiguity has raised its ugly head again. This time too, owing to another global phenomenon. Only this time, mankind is staring at the onset of a parallel and perhaps indomitable intelligence - AI. As I draft this, some of the big names globally, have been laying off massive chunks of human capital to make way for machines. Only this time, organisations may not be worried about costs; machines are more than equipped to perform repetitive and redundant jobs, in no time and at almost half the costs.

I'd like to reiterate 'onset' here. For this is just the start. And any activity that requires a human being will most certainly be devoured by machines. Look around and everything from a straw to the skyscrapers is man-made. Get the picture? There are absolutely no limits to what AI can do. Funny! we are able to clearly lay out the future of machines, machines that we developed while being egregiously unclear of our own.

In a span of just 9 years, I along with many of my ilk have witnessed two major milestones (devastations? sure). We did recover from the former, paying dearly through possessions, calling off marriages/engagements, forfeiting insurance plans, major savings etc. The latter has only just begun. Wonder what else could happen. Yet, there is one optimism that remains - Hope. There was hope then and there is only hope now.

Thank you for listening.

2 comments: