Monday, August 10, 2009

Wasted life

Dear Mr. Editor,

I have often believed that wavelength is a definitive and tangible term rather than just a feeling. Here's a comparison to demonstrate that:

1. Your name (Mohan Sivanand) sounds South Indian and I am a South Indian too.
2. You sport spectacles and so do I.
3. Apart from the fact that this is bread and butter, you appear to be committed to the language. This is evident from the prefaces, articles and some of your responses to emails from readers.Trust me, I have the same attitude towards English - I have written a bit (blogging) and I read a lot.
4. Considering you started your career while in Kerala, I assume that's your native. It is mine too!

Just a handful to bring out tangible coincidences. So what's the moral of the story, you ask? Well, since our wavelengths match, do you think you could get me a job at Readers' Digest?

Here are some reasons that may help you work on an answer:

1. We have been subscribing to the journal for the last 3-4 years. Avid fans of the monthly, the courier guy has been promptly delivering them at noon when dad's not home. This enables me to be the first to lay hands on it.
2. My father has gone crazy picking up those RD collectibles that will someday roll into the sweepstakes.
3. I have a profound respect for language and an undying passion for words.
4. I am between jobs and can use a job (Part time will do too) to capitalize on my skills.
5. I do not have any formal education in journalism or mass communication for fitment. All the same, I think I have a natural advantage with the language. So if you think I am worth a try, I could send you bits of what I have written in the recent past for you review.

Any role will do, I just need to be amongst words.

Let me also guess what you would do after reading this outlandish piece of junk:

1. Rubbish it like you would with any other junk you receive by the hour.
2. Share this email in a group and have a good laugh.
3. Maybe this will never even reach you, your office administrator might have a strong mind to consider this SPAM and junk it.

Sir, please help!




Of course, there was no response. I mean why would there be!!! What was I thinking.....

Dear God,

Don't let the title or the account take you aback. I am still trying to figure out why I wrote that ridiculous piece of junk - is it excess free time, joblessness or sheer foolishness? That's the email I had written to the Editor, Readers' Digest...


1 comment:

  1. You can leave a person in tears with this...

    ReplyDelete