Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bhopal BlasPhemy

Dear God,

I am a commoner and I am not thinking who to blame - Warren, the US or the Indian Governments, UCIL, Eveready.... My access to information is limited to what turns out in the press. My concern is the thousands who were killed and the scores who inherited the ills of that fateful night.

A remote hope, a distant promise of justice results in a paltry compensation of Rs. 12,000/- and a rather feeble 2-year sentence for those responsible for that '84 episode. 26 years and on, is this all we could do for our own?

Politicians are engaged in continual exchanges, the Media is feasting on this controversy (and why not?) and the ridiculous debates on National television and the human rights' groups are executing the never-ending "blame games" vs. the system......

Amidst all of this, where is the victim of that disastrous episode - what about him, his kith and kin? Do we care? When......How......answers to which remain anybody's guess now. It is sickening to think of how we as a people of this great Nation (that we so often thump our hearts about) are incompetent of rehabilitation and relief for those affected.

Just how do you manage to be patient with us, Dear God? Don't you ever feel like brandishing that wand and wipe us out once and for all? Do you really think it is worth operating us anymore?

1 comment:

  1. I once remember seeing a 3 year old girl running around begging and she was giggling. I found that my eyes were wet the very next moment. I don't know if the girl's plight moved me or was it her indifference to hardships. For every sin adults commit, there will be an innocent child paying the price for it. Very well written. God is patient indeed.

    ReplyDelete